Become a Member
SoMIRAC is committed to promoting literacy statewide. SoMIRAC members share an interest in reading and follow the current trends in literacy and reading instruction. Membership in SoMIRAC provides members with opportunities to learn about the latest developments in literacy education and to meet and interact with the best authors in children's and adolescent literature. Information about the newest teaching materials and professional publications is shared at meetings. SoMIRAC's annual conference provides opportunities to gain insights into special issues and concerns in reading such as MSA, Title I, balanced literacy, parent programs, research–based teaching strategies and much more.
Membership dues are $25 for teachers and $12 for retired teachers, paraprofessionals, and student teachers. The membership fee includes membership into the local council of your choice as well as the state council. The annual membership campaign runs from September 1st to December 1st each year. The membership period is for one year beginning September 1st and ending August 31st regardless of when an individual joins.
Benefits of Membership in SoMIRAC
- Learn about the latest developments in literacy education
- Meet and interact with the best in children's and adolescent literature
- Receive information about the newest teaching materials and professional publications
- Gain insights into special issues and concerns in reading such as MSA, Title I, balanced literacy, parent programs and research based teaching strategies by attending out annual conference
- Receive the support and camaraderie of others who share a common interest in literacy
- Receive notification and priority registration for selected local council activities and SoMIRAC's annual conference
- Attend the annual conference at the member rate
All individuals attending the annual SoMIRAC Conference must be members of SoMIRAC by December 1st or a $50 non member fee will apply.
If interested in joining SoMIRAC contact Ann Apple.