The mission of SoMIRAC is to improve the level of literacy in the State of Maryland. We promote quality literacy instruction by: supporting the mission of the International Reading Association, disseminating best literacy practices to educators and parents, advocating for literacy issues through legislation and collaborating with educational institutions, professional organizations and businesses.
The purpose of the council shall be:
- To foster mutual understanding and cooperative work among educators in Pre-K, elementary grades, middle school, high school, college, adult education and in leadership positions.
- To promote advocacy for legislative issues with policy makers, the media and local communities.
- To provide high quality professional development by sponsoring an annual conference and other meetings.
- To stimulate and promote research in reading.
- To disseminate knowledge ofcurrent trends in the field of reading and language arts.
- To study factors that influence progress in reading.
- To promote literacy throughout the state of Maryland.
- To encourage a habit of life-long reading.